This website has officially moved to www.1meal1workout.com! Join us there!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Sometimes I Should Take My Own Advice

Johnny Carino's. That's where I had lunch today. Due to the fact that I'm allergic to poultry, about 75% of their lunch menu was "off the menu" for me. Looking through the lunch menu in particular, about half of them featured chicken. Two options did jump out at me: the "Homemade 16-Layer Lasagna", and the "Jalapeno Garlic Tilapia". I figured that I had better stay away from the lasagna, because lasagna is traditionally high in calories, so I opted for the fish...because fish is healthy, right?

So my dish comes out, and it's a lovely portion of tilapia...not too large, not too small...served over a bed of angel hair pasta. It was a generous portion, but not TOO big.

And that's where the positive things end.

The entire dish was covered in some kind of rich sauce. Don't get me wrong: it tasted great! In fact, I ate the WHOLE THING. That was Mistake #2.

What was Mistake #1? They also serve small loaves of Bruschetta bread as an appetizer. There were three of us at lunch...and we ate three. So I figure I ate one all by myself. Not good.

But the problems really started with Mistake #0. Months ago I blogged about making good choices eating out. One of my tips was to use the interwebs to LOOK UP THE NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION BEFORE YOU ORDER! (I'm not yelling at you. I'm yelling at myself.)

You see, if I had just taken my Droid out BEFORE I ate instead of AFTER, I would have known that the Tilipia was the single most high calorie dish on the lunch menu. AND, that the bread was EQUALLY AS BAD. How bad?

Bruschetta Bread 1,288 calories
Jalapeno Garlic Tilapia 1,255 calories

Oh yeah...and I dipped the bread in the oil, so let's just make it a nice round 2,700 calories. I had MORE calories in one meal then I shoot for eating in an entire day. Ooops!

Thankfully, though, I'm not on a diet. I just do "1 Meal - 1 Workout". When dinner came around, I was back on track. Tomorrow's another chance to make smart choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment