This website has officially moved to www.1meal1workout.com! Join us there!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Treat Diet Like a Noun, NOT a Verb

When people began to notice that I was losing weight, lots of people asked, "What kind of diet are you on?"  Truthfully, I'm not doing a particular "diet".



Merriam-Webster has two main definitions for the word diet.
  1. Noun: The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
  2. Verb: Restrict oneself to small amounts or special kinds of food in order to lose weight.

Of course, I have a "diet". I, as a person, have foods that I habitually eat.  But I am not ON a diet, restricting myself to small amounts or special kinds of food.  I have some basic guidelines, but that's about it.  Here they are in a nutshell.

  1. I don't drink sweet drinks.  I could drink one 20 oz Dr. Pepper...or eat 5 apples.
  2. I don't eat seconds.
  3. I choose wheat/whole grain over white bread.
  4. I try to keep healthy snacks around.  Some of my favorites:  nuts, pickles, string cheese, protein bars, yogurt, fruit.
This is "my diet".  It's how I eat, and will continue to do so.  Nothing short-term, no quick weight-loss plans.  Just a new way of approaching food.


So, what did I eat today?

For breakfast, I had two packs of instant oatmeal.  Then, about 9 o'clock I had an apple.  Around ten I grabbed a diet drink and a pickle.  I usually eat lunch early.  Today, at about 11:15 I had a big bowl of pasta fagioli soup, a couple of crackers, and some light (70 calorie) yogurt.  About 2 o'clock I had a protein bar.  About 4 o'clock I had another pickle.  Dinner was veggie stir-fry over brown rice and one and a half egg rolls.  After my run, I had some low-cal Gatorade, and handful of Macadamia nuts, and split a bag of popcorn with Cheryl.

Sounds like I ate all day, doesn't it?  I did.  My total calories for the day was still well below 2,000.  It is possible to eat, be full, be healthy, and still lose weight.

What's for breakfast?  I think I'll have grits...

No comments:

Post a Comment